Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Gas

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, toxic gas
which interferes with the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.It combines with hemoglobin to produce carboxyhemoglobin, which usurps the space in hemoglobin that normally carries oxygen, but is ineffective for delivering oxygen to bodily tissues
CO is non-irritating and can overcome persons without
warning. Many people die from CO poisoning, usually while
using gasoline powered tools and generators in buildings
or semi-enclosed spaces without adequate ventilation.

Effects of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Severe carbon monoxide poisoning causes neurological
damage, illness, coma and death.
Symptoms of CO exposure
• Headaches, dizziness and drowsiness.
• Nausea, vomiting, tightness across the chest.
Some Sources of Exposure
• Portable generators/generators in buildings.
• Concrete cutting saws, compressors.
• Power trowels, floor buffers, space heaters.
• Welding, gasoline powered pumps.
Preventing CO Exposure
• Never use a generator indoors or in enclosed or partially
enclosed spaces such as garages, crawl spaces,
and basements. Opening windows and doors in an
enclosed space may prevent CO buildup.
• Make sure the generator has 3-4 feet of clear space on
all sides and above it to ensure adequate ventilation.
• Do not use a generator outdoors if placed near doors,
windows or vents which could allow CO to enter and
build up in occupied spaces.
• When using space heaters and stoves ensure that they
are in good working order to reduce CO buildup, and
never use in enclosed spaces or indoors.
• Consider using tools powered by electricity or compressed
air, if available.
• If you experience symptoms of CO poisoning get to
fresh air right away and seek immediate medical

Top Most